Walk-in Registration will be held Saturday morning, November 7, from 8:30 to 11:30, at the skating center. This will be the only walk-in registration for Session 1. Please have paperwork ready. Cash and checks only.
We are very pleased to announce that we will be opening for skating lessons in November. Please download and carefully read the information in this Information and Application document. Important: The information contained in this document supersedes information that may be found elsewhere on this website.
- Masks are required for everyone in the facility, on or off the ice.
- We are currently unable to offer any Beginner level or Pre-Alpha level classes for Session 1.
- Please review the student drop-off policy and make sure to provide us with your current mobile number in the application.
- We are able to offer practice time for classes, but is limited to 1/2 hour. Each class has a specific practice time and is listed in the document. This might be before or after your class, so be sure to check the schedule.
- Rental skates will not be available and the rental counter will not be open during classes. However these same skates will be made available for lease for the entirety of Session 1 for a $16 fee and a $85 deposit. The skating center will be open to arrange for lease skates on the weekend of November 7 & 8, from 8 AM till noon.
- A current ISI membership is required for all participants, but we will not be processing paper ISI membership applications this season. ISI memberships must be purchased or renewed at www.skateisi.org/membership/skaters/ before the start of classes. A current US Figure Skating or Learn to Skate USA membership will be accepted in lieu of an ISI membership.
For our freestyle ice customers, additional Freestyle ice is available on Tuesday afternoon and evenings, November 10, 17, & 24. See information document above.
Thank you skaters and families for abiding by all the new rules and we look forward to seeing you soon. Stay safe and stay healthy!
Ice Skating Exhibition
Please join us for our annual Ice Skating Show on Saturday, March 14, 1:30 PM. Admission is free!
Want to skate in the show? Download the Show Application
Welcome to Mercer Skating School!
Welcome to our 2019 & 20 season of ice skating lessons at Mercer County Skating Center. The center is conveniently located in Mercer County Park, West Windsor, NJ.
This website is entirely dedicated to our skating lessons program. If you are looking for information on our other services, such as public skating, birthday parties, or private events, visit the Mercer County Skating Center Website for further details and contacts.
Ice skating is a great family activity! It is ideal for exercise and developing a very fine sense of balance and coordination. Do you just want to learn how to stop on skates or how to skate backwards? Perhaps you really want to jump or spin on skates. Maybe you have ice hockey in mind. Even hockey players start by learning how to skate first. Just maybe you are an adult that believes that kids shouldn't have all the fun. We'd love you to join one of our fun, no tests, adult classes. We offer a wide range of class and private instruction to serve all your skating aspirations.
We offer three, 5 week sessions during the skating season. They begin in November and end in March. Most classes use the 5th week class for evaluation purposes. Students passing the evaluation will be moved to the next class level.
Have a great season of skating at Mercer County Park!
Tips for New Skaters
Please show up to your first lesson at least one half hour before your scheduled lesson time. You will need time to purchase skate rentals, select your proper skate size, and pick up your ID badge. While selecting your skates, we recommend figure skates rather than hockey skates for first time skaters. The longer blade length of figure skates will provide more stability for the beginner skater. Also note that rental skates are available only in whole sizes.
Skate boots should be snug, but not uncomfortably tight. The upper part of the boot should be laced for a snug, but not tight fit, and securely tied. Please ensure that the laces do not touch the ground after they are tied. The boot should not flop from side to side when worn. If a properly tied boot does not provide good support to the ankles, a smaller boot may be required.
If you would like to purchase skates, please see our staff for recommendations. We do not recommend adjustable skates. We also do not recommend inexpensive, leather like skates, since they generally lack adequate ankle support. Double bladed skates will not be permitted on the ice. Remember that newly purchased skates require sharpening. Sharpening services are available at the skating center.
Do not forget helmets and gloves. The rink is sheltered, but is subject to outdoor temperatures. Please wear appropriate clothing for the temperature. Gloves are always recommended, lighter weight gloves for warmer weather are appropriate.
It may be a bit scary at first, but most importantly, Have Fun!
Do not include skate rental fees with your registration. Skate rentals and rental cards may be purchased from the outside ticket office at the rink. Be sure to arrive early on your first day of class.
Two classes same session discount applies to any skater attending any two classes in the same session. Can be used for the same class on two different days. This discount is not a family discount for multiple skaters attending single classes.
Get in Touch!
Please contact us for any further information on any of our skating lesson programs.
Times and Dates
All of our classes, practices, and important dates!